20101115


Seven Last Words of Christ (1898) by Fred Holland Day 
Fred Holland Day, born July 8th 1864, was an American photographer. He was one of the first in the USA to suggest that photography should be considered a fine art. Many of his photos included symbolic imagery and his photographs "allude to classical antiquity in manner, and often in theme". 
"Day, who was part of the late 19th century pictorialist movement that attempted to apply the characteristics of painting to the photograph, donned a crown of thorns and played the crucified Christ for his camera. He appears in a series of photographs inspired by the last utterances of Christ on the cross. 
    Crump said, "I became interested in Day when I viewed Robert Mapplethorpe's Whitney Museum of American Art retrospective in 1988. This series of pictures, which certainly influenced Mapplethorpe, inspired the subject of my second book, 'F. Holland Day: Suffering the Ideal.' "- http://www.aeqai.com/articles/102010.htm

This image, depicting the dying words of Christ, is interesting in the way it is laid out and how Christ is portrayed. I feel that the artist using his own image to portray a religion's person of interest is a bold move. Other than that, this image does not evoke much impact upon me because of religious religions, so I feel that I cannot relate.


http://www.sandyskoglund.com/
From this website, I found an image that was quite interesting. Titled Fresh Hybrid, the image consists of life-like models of people in bright colors, combined with abstract people/tree combinations and lastly, real people. The blossoms on the trees are small chicks, like the ones I used to receive on Easter. The image is suggested to give a meaning of a lost innocence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment