20100915

Blog Entry #3 & #4

“Photography deals exquisitely with appearances, but nothing is what it appears to be.”~Duane Michals. Do you agree or disagree with this quote? Why?
I fully agree with this quote because though you can capture a scene with your camera, when taking a portrait you cannot tell the true thoughts going through a persons' mind. They may be smiling, but only the subject knows whether or not this smile is true or not.


  “If I could tell the story in words, I wouldn't need to lug around a camera.” ~Lewis Hine

Do you agree or disagree with this quote? Why? Describe situations when photographic images reveal “the story” (as compared to words). Describe situations when words reveal “the story” (as compared to images).
 I agree with this quote because I am a very visual person. When hearing a story, it is much more enriching to me if I am provided pictures of parts of the event. Whenever I hear a story about a person in my community who has passed away, it's hard for me not to look up their facebook or their pictures. If I don't, it's harder for me to connect with them. I find it's easier to feel emotional about someone you can visually see.  
I find that when words reveal "the story", it is because the story is internal and not something you can visually see. For example, I'm sitting here in class typing on my blog. You can visually see me typing, but you cannot hear the voice in my head organizing what I am about to type next. Because you have read what I just typed, you are able to understand what the story is, compared to if you just saw me typing on this blog. 


No comments:

Post a Comment