20101004






In the first image, I used the harsh lighting from a flashlight in complete darkness to illuminate half of the subjects face. I didn't ask the subject to make any certain faces, so I left it up to him to decide. I wanted his head slightly off center in order to create a bit of a difference to keep your eye focused there.
In the second image, using props, I created a blurry focus point that would than push your eye to the subject's eyes. I did not really brainstorm for this image and I was just about to take my medication for the day and the idea popped up in my head. I wanted the bottles on the edge to balance out the bottom half of the image.
In the third image, I was taking candid photos and I liked this one. I used natural lighting from the windows. My subject, my roommate, was waking up from taking a nap, so I just talked to her as I snapped pictures. I cropped the image in order to create a focus on her blurry fingers with the ring. The motion of her hand then brings you to view her expression.

14 comments:

  1. I love the lighting in your first one :) But the second one is my favorite..there can be so much meaning behind it. Good job chica!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the first one! The lighting looks awesome. I like the angle of the second one is really cool i like how you can just see your eyes. They all look great! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first one is really dramatic, it makes me think goofy vampire. The second one is good, I can totally relate.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really like the first photo! i love the lighting of this work because the contrast really make his right side of face stand out. however i wish his left side of face could be faded in the darkness gradually

    ReplyDelete
  5. i love the first photos in both sets. i think you set up excellent lighting situations and the high contrast is working well. i like that we can't see the subject's entire face, it's very interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I like the drama in the first picture :) I also like the one with the girl sitting on a tree branch.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the first one. Awesome composition. Sweet lighting, great contrast.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I like the experimentation with the lighting in the first photo. It turned out really well with only half of his face lit.

    I love the positioning of the camera in the 2nd photo. It added a lot to the image and helped show more of the objects.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like the one with the pills! I love how they lead to the person's wanting eyes. The first one looks awesome in terms of lighting!

    ReplyDelete
  10. 1. So many people do this lighting technique and have their subject with this intense look on their face…I like the change of pace

    2. I like how you can't tell if the subject is looking at the pills or at the camera…perhaps this photo has several statements being made?

    3. Maybe tone down the highlights…there's quite a lot of them already

    ReplyDelete
  11. the top two tell interesting stories and draw me in. again, watch your focus... i wonder if you are using manual or automatic? also you might try to use a tripod. those are keepers and could be reshot for crispness.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love your expression in the second image - it has a very curious nature to it. The lighting in the first image is excellent, and the third is interesting with the movement of the hand.

    ReplyDelete
  13. The first photo looks the best. The amount of light on the face and how we can only see only half of the face makes it look good.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Really nice lighting in the first one, and I like the subject matter of the second. It really gives off a definite story behind the shot.

    ReplyDelete